Wendy

Simcha-Sophie

a lovely mishmash of opinions interspersed with moments of clarity and vision by a vegan lesbian feminist mystery-loving, history-loving reader and writer.

The More I Owe You: A Novel
Michael Sledge
The Lifelong Activist: How to Change the World without Losing Your Way
Hillary Rettig
Queer Ecologies: Sex, Nature, Politics, Desire
Catriolina Mortimer-Sandilands, Bruce Erickson
Odd Girls and Twilight Lovers: A History of Lesbian Life in Twentieth-Century America (Between Men--Between Women)
Lillian Faderman
The Healing Earth
Philip Sutton Chard
Revolt and Crisis in Greece: Between a Present Yet to Pass and a Future Still to Come
Dimitris Dalakoglou, Antonis Vradis

Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs, And Wear Cows: An Introduction to Carnism

Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs, And Wear Cows: An Introduction to Carnism - Melanie Joy Oh, Ms. Joy, this was not very good at all. Or perhaps it's written for an omnivore audience. It's very very basic animal rights philosophy and an introduction to a system Joy calls carnism. Perhaps the most interesting conclusion she draws, and one that, in retrospect should be obvious to vegans (but wasn't to me!) is the worldview that only veg*nism is a choice, that meat-eating is seen as the normal, natural thing to do when in reality it is also a definite choice. Joy explores some of the ways we are conditioned to believe this, how it is psychologically and socially ingrained in us, and how the meat and egg and dairy lobbies make sure to keep this indoctrination alive and well.
But the tone of the book is like a lecture to some rather foolish people -- almost condescending. The overuse of italics is annoying and the repeated information ("as we discussed in chapter 1", "as we discussed in chapter two", etc) really got on my nerves. This book I think could be helpful for omnivores who want to change but for activists it's not worth the read.