Wendy

Simcha-Sophie

a lovely mishmash of opinions interspersed with moments of clarity and vision by a vegan lesbian feminist mystery-loving, history-loving reader and writer.

The More I Owe You: A Novel
Michael Sledge
The Lifelong Activist: How to Change the World without Losing Your Way
Hillary Rettig
Queer Ecologies: Sex, Nature, Politics, Desire
Catriolina Mortimer-Sandilands, Bruce Erickson
Odd Girls and Twilight Lovers: A History of Lesbian Life in Twentieth-Century America (Between Men--Between Women)
Lillian Faderman
The Healing Earth
Philip Sutton Chard
Revolt and Crisis in Greece: Between a Present Yet to Pass and a Future Still to Come
Dimitris Dalakoglou, Antonis Vradis

A Trace of Smoke (Hannah Vogel Novels)

A Trace of Smoke - Rebecca Cantrell When crime reporter Hannah Vogel discovers her beloved brother. a transvestite, has been murdered, she vows to find out who did it and why. Oh, and the big hitch? This is 1931 Berlin. The Nazis are gaining power and their presence is widely felt. Overall I enjoyed this book, especially the sense of place and time, which were extremely well-executed. I don't want to give away too much, but I had trouble accepting the ending -- it feels a bit farfetched to me, and makes me wonder how a sequel taking place in Germany will be possible (but I am interested enough to find out). It's been a short while since I've finished this so I can't give specifics, but the book is also uneven -- parts flow well and smoothly and others feel contrived or a little bit forced. I was also hoping for a little more interaction between Hannah and the Berlin queer world.