Wendy

Simcha-Sophie

a lovely mishmash of opinions interspersed with moments of clarity and vision by a vegan lesbian feminist mystery-loving, history-loving reader and writer.

The More I Owe You: A Novel
Michael Sledge
The Lifelong Activist: How to Change the World without Losing Your Way
Hillary Rettig
Queer Ecologies: Sex, Nature, Politics, Desire
Catriolina Mortimer-Sandilands, Bruce Erickson
Odd Girls and Twilight Lovers: A History of Lesbian Life in Twentieth-Century America (Between Men--Between Women)
Lillian Faderman
The Healing Earth
Philip Sutton Chard
Revolt and Crisis in Greece: Between a Present Yet to Pass and a Future Still to Come
Dimitris Dalakoglou, Antonis Vradis

Sophie Scholl and the White Rose

Sophie Scholl and the White Rose - Annette Dumbach, Jud Newborn I reviewed this a while ago on another site and lost the review, but what I remember about it is a solid good. The title is misleading, because the book focuses primarily on the White Rose and not Sophie Scholl herself. I've read other books on The White Rose so was looking for something a little more personal about Sophie so in that respect this book was a disappointment.

What never fails to disappoint and amaze me about The White Rose and Scholl in particular is her tremendous courage. What I can't tell you is whether this book or the movie based on it had more of an impact; I think I'd have to confess to liking the movie better than the book - the sense of urgency is greater in the film and visuals help the setting more than the book does.

Nevertheless, it's definitely worth a read, particularly to leftist and liberal activists of many stripes. If it does nothing else, this book will inspire you even as it scares the hell out of you.