Wendy

Simcha-Sophie

a lovely mishmash of opinions interspersed with moments of clarity and vision by a vegan lesbian feminist mystery-loving, history-loving reader and writer.

The More I Owe You: A Novel
Michael Sledge
The Lifelong Activist: How to Change the World without Losing Your Way
Hillary Rettig
Queer Ecologies: Sex, Nature, Politics, Desire
Catriolina Mortimer-Sandilands, Bruce Erickson
Odd Girls and Twilight Lovers: A History of Lesbian Life in Twentieth-Century America (Between Men--Between Women)
Lillian Faderman
The Healing Earth
Philip Sutton Chard
Revolt and Crisis in Greece: Between a Present Yet to Pass and a Future Still to Come
Dimitris Dalakoglou, Antonis Vradis

My Sister's Bones

My Sister's Bones - Cathi Hanauer On the one hand, this was pretty readable so there must have been something redeeming about it. On the other hand I felt a bit lost. The book is about the sister of an anorexic girl in the NJ suburbs and her junior year in high school, what happens, how her family deals with the anorexia (not well) - but the first thing to throw me is the setting. At first I assumed it takes place around the copyright, sometime in the late 1990s. It's not until we're at least halfway into the book that it's apparent it's most likely the 70s, though maybe 8-track tapes were big in the early 80s. The characterizations are okay, but without a whole lot of depth, and the Weinstein family, except for Cassie, is pretty much unlikeable. It's hard to be more specific at this point; the book seems to head off in one direction and never quite gets there, the ending is guessable but still leaves the reader hanging. Just a very unsatisfying story.