Wendy

Simcha-Sophie

a lovely mishmash of opinions interspersed with moments of clarity and vision by a vegan lesbian feminist mystery-loving, history-loving reader and writer.

The More I Owe You: A Novel
Michael Sledge
The Lifelong Activist: How to Change the World without Losing Your Way
Hillary Rettig
Queer Ecologies: Sex, Nature, Politics, Desire
Catriolina Mortimer-Sandilands, Bruce Erickson
Odd Girls and Twilight Lovers: A History of Lesbian Life in Twentieth-Century America (Between Men--Between Women)
Lillian Faderman
The Healing Earth
Philip Sutton Chard
Revolt and Crisis in Greece: Between a Present Yet to Pass and a Future Still to Come
Dimitris Dalakoglou, Antonis Vradis

The Stepsister Scheme (PRINCESS NOVELS)

The Stepsister Scheme (PRINCESS NOVELS) - Jim C. Hines I started out hating this - the idea that to be strong women have to be fighters (in the vein of patriarchy), that the one princess with an attitude has a darker complexion than the others, that the Cinderella - Danielle- can't distinguish between animals who help her and those she kills to wear and eat. However, the book grew on me. I think it had to do with setting more than anything else. I'm impressed by how natural this fantasy world seems, how Hines mixes imagination with just enough recognizabledetails that this world and Fairytown seem fully anchored in (a) reality. The characters also grew on me; they are more than stereotypes, which is refreshing. (And not to spoil things or anything, but I detect some lesbianism so let's hope Hines keeps it up and consistent. If she turns out to be pansexual I'll be very disappointed.) For the most part I enjoyed the humor. But the setting is particulary strong, and as someone who reads fantasy very sporadically because I have trouble suspending belief in a lot of these fantastic worlds, that's a high compliment.

( think the cover art is crappy but that's not the author's fault.