Wendy

Simcha-Sophie

a lovely mishmash of opinions interspersed with moments of clarity and vision by a vegan lesbian feminist mystery-loving, history-loving reader and writer.

The More I Owe You: A Novel
Michael Sledge
The Lifelong Activist: How to Change the World without Losing Your Way
Hillary Rettig
Queer Ecologies: Sex, Nature, Politics, Desire
Catriolina Mortimer-Sandilands, Bruce Erickson
Odd Girls and Twilight Lovers: A History of Lesbian Life in Twentieth-Century America (Between Men--Between Women)
Lillian Faderman
The Healing Earth
Philip Sutton Chard
Revolt and Crisis in Greece: Between a Present Yet to Pass and a Future Still to Come
Dimitris Dalakoglou, Antonis Vradis

Confessions of a Prairie Bitch: How I Survived Nellie Oleson and Learned to Love Being Hated - Alison Arngrim Before I get to the good stuff, there are a few annoyances with this book. First is Arngrim's tendency to use quotations for things said decades ago when the syntax is very 2010's ("You so did not," for example). I understand that it's hard to remember exactly what was quoted 30+ years ago, but at least make an effort to have it sound much more 1970s. Second is her intense dislike for Melissa Sue Anderson. Now I'm not saying I don't enjoy gossip like this. To my discredit, I do. But at the end Arngrim suggests that maybe after all they can get together, be adults, try to come to terms with their past -- after she's spent a good deal of time trashing her in the book. Of course I have no idea what's true and what's not. I guess the biggest disappointment in the book is the lack of Little House stories themselves. Yeah, Arngrim has had an interesting (and devastating at times) life; but honestly I want to know more about the filming and the interactions among the co-stars. There was hardly anything about Karen Grassle, either. Disappointing.
However, the book is written with a lot of humor, and is often extremely amusing. It's easy to get through. It's horrifying to read about her childhood, but it's impressive to see that she's not someone who uses her former (?) fame to do nothing more than complain about being typecast (Eve Plumb comes to mind).
A great distracting read for anyone who's grown up on Little House.