Wendy

Simcha-Sophie

a lovely mishmash of opinions interspersed with moments of clarity and vision by a vegan lesbian feminist mystery-loving, history-loving reader and writer.

The More I Owe You: A Novel
Michael Sledge
The Lifelong Activist: How to Change the World without Losing Your Way
Hillary Rettig
Queer Ecologies: Sex, Nature, Politics, Desire
Catriolina Mortimer-Sandilands, Bruce Erickson
Odd Girls and Twilight Lovers: A History of Lesbian Life in Twentieth-Century America (Between Men--Between Women)
Lillian Faderman
The Healing Earth
Philip Sutton Chard
Revolt and Crisis in Greece: Between a Present Yet to Pass and a Future Still to Come
Dimitris Dalakoglou, Antonis Vradis

Secret Society Girl: An Ivy League Novel

Secret Society Girl - Diana Peterfreund This is readable and enjoyable in the sense that a Lifetime movie is enjoyable. You wonder why you're sitting there with it, and yet something about it compels you. Probably helps that I was needing a huge distraction in my life at the time.
Although it's likely any real secret society would not allow a book to be written about it, the way this one is pulled off is rather ridiculous. I won't go into specifics here, but while the premise is interesting the way it's pulled off is like, ugh, dare I say it, "chick lit," next to Christian fiction probably my least-favorite genre. Oh, besides westerns. The ending comes off like some kind of John Hughes movies, and my goodness, authors, when you want to model a character after yourself, you can at least give her a different haircut from the one you have in your author photo (I know about this stuff because I have a bad tendency to write many characters who resemble myself as well.) Particularly irritating: the lesbian character who has "a thing for John McCain."
Ugh.