Wendy

Simcha-Sophie

a lovely mishmash of opinions interspersed with moments of clarity and vision by a vegan lesbian feminist mystery-loving, history-loving reader and writer.

The More I Owe You: A Novel
Michael Sledge
The Lifelong Activist: How to Change the World without Losing Your Way
Hillary Rettig
Queer Ecologies: Sex, Nature, Politics, Desire
Catriolina Mortimer-Sandilands, Bruce Erickson
Odd Girls and Twilight Lovers: A History of Lesbian Life in Twentieth-Century America (Between Men--Between Women)
Lillian Faderman
The Healing Earth
Philip Sutton Chard
Revolt and Crisis in Greece: Between a Present Yet to Pass and a Future Still to Come
Dimitris Dalakoglou, Antonis Vradis

Terrorists or Freedom Fighters?: Reflections on the Liberation of Animals

Terrorists or Freedom Fighters?: Reflections on the Liberation of Animals - Steven Best, Anthony J. Nocella II After a good start, this book became a bit of a disappointment. Partially this could be the result of its being dated (copyright 2004); the appendix essay by Rod Coronado I found to be a bit self-indulgent and I could not help reading the hypocrisy in it (he has gone from vegan to vegetarian, and perhaps at this point is not even that!). I also was made very aware by how male-dominated direct action activism is. Equally irritating is the suggestion that if you are not involved in direct action you are not doing enough. Of course, I would claim that direct action can be as simple and above-ground as TNR, but that was not what the majority of the authors of the book claimed. The anonymous appendix essay by a female direct-action advocate gives some pause for thought as well. Does she strategize? I see her action of paint-bombing a fast food restaurant as not particularly worth the risk.
Some of these essays are inspiring, but many of them go over the same thing again and again, which makes the book difficult as a whole to get through - tedious and boring in places.