Wendy

Simcha-Sophie

a lovely mishmash of opinions interspersed with moments of clarity and vision by a vegan lesbian feminist mystery-loving, history-loving reader and writer.

The More I Owe You: A Novel
Michael Sledge
The Lifelong Activist: How to Change the World without Losing Your Way
Hillary Rettig
Queer Ecologies: Sex, Nature, Politics, Desire
Catriolina Mortimer-Sandilands, Bruce Erickson
Odd Girls and Twilight Lovers: A History of Lesbian Life in Twentieth-Century America (Between Men--Between Women)
Lillian Faderman
The Healing Earth
Philip Sutton Chard
Revolt and Crisis in Greece: Between a Present Yet to Pass and a Future Still to Come
Dimitris Dalakoglou, Antonis Vradis

The Animal Manifesto: Six Reasons for Expanding Our Compassion Footprint

The Animal Manifesto: Six Reasons for Expanding Our Compassion Footprint - Ph.D. Marc Bekoff Just a quick review here: I like Bekoff, but this book is a general primer, an introduction to animal rights, and there are several places where he contradicts himself. We talked about this in our animal rights book group yesterday and the general consensus was that indeed this is not for hardened AR activists, and likely not for those into direct action. However, for Buddhists and other positive people who don't know much about animal rights I can recommend this book. It's written in a kind, considerate manner and Bekoff appears open to being open to others. He does not do a hard sell for the most part. I was disappointed in his lack of response to the dairy industry -- in the chapter on vegetarianism he does not link dairy and meat at all; and he is too wishy washy about animals being used in experiments. Although he does quote Twain (to paraphrase: it doesn't matter what good comes from vivisection, the horrors of the experiment are all you need to know about to know that it is a cruel and terrible thing), he also talks about enriching animals' lives in laboratories, as opposed to the reasoning behind the need for using non-animal models exclusively. But in other places he does come across that way, so it's kind of a schizophrenic read.