Wendy

Simcha-Sophie

a lovely mishmash of opinions interspersed with moments of clarity and vision by a vegan lesbian feminist mystery-loving, history-loving reader and writer.

The More I Owe You: A Novel
Michael Sledge
The Lifelong Activist: How to Change the World without Losing Your Way
Hillary Rettig
Queer Ecologies: Sex, Nature, Politics, Desire
Catriolina Mortimer-Sandilands, Bruce Erickson
Odd Girls and Twilight Lovers: A History of Lesbian Life in Twentieth-Century America (Between Men--Between Women)
Lillian Faderman
The Healing Earth
Philip Sutton Chard
Revolt and Crisis in Greece: Between a Present Yet to Pass and a Future Still to Come
Dimitris Dalakoglou, Antonis Vradis

Sacred Cows and Golden Geese: The Human Cost of Experiments on Animals

Sacred Cows and Golden Geese: The Human Cost of Experiments on Animals - C. Ray Greek, Jean Swingle Greek I think this book is important in that it shows how animal experiments do not benefit human beings, except for a few, financially. The authors provide a brief history of how vivisection came to be the norm in testing medication, and then follow up with why it's wrong, from "white coat welfare" to chapters on cancer and AIDS and the inefficacy of animal testing to find cures for these (and other) diseases.

So this book is needed. From an interest standpoint, I find it uneven. I mean, I was obscenely interested in the birth defects and other problems that come from drugs, particularly in the 1960s and 1970s, that were found safe on animals and that caused tremendous harm to human animals. But parts of it made my eyes cross, particularly where the authors talk about how specific genes work and how medicines work on those genes.

Again, good for those who like and understand science and medicine, and probably well worth the read for anyone interested in understanding the persuasive counterarguments to vivisection. But not the most fascinating thing I've ever read.