Wendy

Simcha-Sophie

a lovely mishmash of opinions interspersed with moments of clarity and vision by a vegan lesbian feminist mystery-loving, history-loving reader and writer.

The More I Owe You: A Novel
Michael Sledge
The Lifelong Activist: How to Change the World without Losing Your Way
Hillary Rettig
Queer Ecologies: Sex, Nature, Politics, Desire
Catriolina Mortimer-Sandilands, Bruce Erickson
Odd Girls and Twilight Lovers: A History of Lesbian Life in Twentieth-Century America (Between Men--Between Women)
Lillian Faderman
The Healing Earth
Philip Sutton Chard
Revolt and Crisis in Greece: Between a Present Yet to Pass and a Future Still to Come
Dimitris Dalakoglou, Antonis Vradis

The House on Mango Street

The House on Mango Street - Sandra Cisneros A lovely, intense novel made of short stories, impressions of the young Esperanza as she grows through her first year living on Mango Street.

As with the Ida Fink collection I just reviewed, I found this book to be emotionally intense and simple -- my guess is deceptively simple. I don't really enjoy being back in the head of a preteen girl (been there, done that, once was more than enough!) but Cisneros captures this beautifully, particularly from the point of view of an outsider whose one big dream is to live in a specific, storybook kind of house (you know, the kind the commercials and movies and TV sell us).

I may come back with a better review, but this is a short read, emotional, simple and beautiful. It makes me think that outsiders growing up have a lot more similarities than differences, particularly those who end up writing books. :)