Wendy

Simcha-Sophie

a lovely mishmash of opinions interspersed with moments of clarity and vision by a vegan lesbian feminist mystery-loving, history-loving reader and writer.

The More I Owe You: A Novel
Michael Sledge
The Lifelong Activist: How to Change the World without Losing Your Way
Hillary Rettig
Queer Ecologies: Sex, Nature, Politics, Desire
Catriolina Mortimer-Sandilands, Bruce Erickson
Odd Girls and Twilight Lovers: A History of Lesbian Life in Twentieth-Century America (Between Men--Between Women)
Lillian Faderman
The Healing Earth
Philip Sutton Chard
Revolt and Crisis in Greece: Between a Present Yet to Pass and a Future Still to Come
Dimitris Dalakoglou, Antonis Vradis

Call Me Princess

Call Me Princess - Sara Blaedel I really really hope it was the translators who screwed this up. The story got interesting about halfway through, and Blaedel, even in translation, is good at building suspense. I found myself reading faster wanting to know what was going to happen next? Was the rapist going to strike again? Would he get Louise? Camilla?

But the writing, oh good lord, the way this novel is translated makes this seem like maybe a second draft. The syntax and word choice are terrible. I would love to give an example but am lazy.

I found Louise irritating: unfriendly, unsympathetic, brusque. I had little sense of who she is.

And I found the ending too pat, the issue too quickly resolved after all the suspense.

I had to skip several pages that graphically depicted rapes. Is it so necessary? Sometimes less is more effective. It felt gratuituous, because certainly little else in the book is that graphic; Blaedel expects everyone to know Copenhagen; I guess even if you're Danish you don't necessarily know about all the neighborhoods in Copenhagen.

I would have given only one star, but by the time I reached the halfway point, I was finally actually interested in the story enough to stop grumbling about the grammar, syntax and the fact that I must have watched too much Law & Order: SVU, because the way the police were speaking about procedures and possible suspects sound a bit like they're all new to the game. In other words, Blaedel has her detectives over-explain the obvious, while she herself under-explains, or neglects to show, us more complex things like relationships and settings.