Wendy

Simcha-Sophie

a lovely mishmash of opinions interspersed with moments of clarity and vision by a vegan lesbian feminist mystery-loving, history-loving reader and writer.

The More I Owe You: A Novel
Michael Sledge
The Lifelong Activist: How to Change the World without Losing Your Way
Hillary Rettig
Queer Ecologies: Sex, Nature, Politics, Desire
Catriolina Mortimer-Sandilands, Bruce Erickson
Odd Girls and Twilight Lovers: A History of Lesbian Life in Twentieth-Century America (Between Men--Between Women)
Lillian Faderman
The Healing Earth
Philip Sutton Chard
Revolt and Crisis in Greece: Between a Present Yet to Pass and a Future Still to Come
Dimitris Dalakoglou, Antonis Vradis

Kaaterskill Falls

Kaaterskill Falls - Allegra Goodman Goodman is a good writer: she makes you feel as if you're in the setting she describes, and she knows how to pick the right words so that, despite the limited amount of time you're with a particular character, some of them have quite a bit of depth.
On the other hand, the novel is extremely jumpy and virtually plotless. I don't care for the majority of the characters, partly, I think, because many of them are so bland, something of stereotypes, or not even quite that deep. They're just kind of there to -- what? I'm not quite sure. And because Goodman jumps from character to character, just as soon as you become interested in the story of one, bam, you're off to another. And honestly, all the Gentiles in the book are boring and annoying, and who wants to spend time with them? Yuck. It's disappointing, but it hasn't turned me off being interested in other things Goodman's written because I think she's a beautiful descriptive writer; I'm not quite that confident in her sense of narrative, but I suspect that given a story with a narrower scope she'd be really excellent.
Bonus: this book reinforced my continuing disdain for religion in general, and provoked emotional responses in me, particularly with Rav Kirshner and Renee -- and, well, the men in general. Patriarchy, yuck!